The other week I was lucky enough to travel to Portugal to grab a few rays of last-minute sunshine along the stunning Algarve. I was surprised by how sunny it was in autumn and just how much you could do and see during a break there at this time of year. Take a look at my top picks for Algarve must-dos and see what this glorious coastal destination has to offer…
1. Lapping up the sunshine is easy along The Algarve as the area has minimal rainfall and blissful heat for most of the year. With glorious coastlines to admire and lovely beach-side bars and cafes to relax in, it’s easy to see why so many people flock there each season.
2. The Algarve is famous for its dolphins and by simply booking a dolphin excursion in the local area, you will have a good chance of seeing a few of these magnificent creatures. As you cruise along the glittering sea in a specialist boat, your tour guide is on hand to entertain and inform whilst you try and spot some marine life.
3. With top nightlife such as Albufeira’s bustling Strip, visitors to The Algarve can enjoy a great night out with friends at a low cost. Also, the cocktails are delicious!
4. Hop on a Segway and enjoy an interesting tour of the older and more traditional parts of the towns on The Algarve. As well as having fun on one of these easy-to-navigate contraptions, there are plenty of fascinating places to be discovered.
5. Feeling hungry? Portuguese food is renowned for being simple but mouth-wateringly delicious. From paella to peri-peri chicken to the famed grilled sardines straight from the sea, you’ll be spoilt for choice when choosing what to feast on! And, of course, a refreshing jug of traditional sangria is the perfect drink to wash it all down with.
6. For the more adventurous among us, Aquashow is the place to be. Filled with jaw-droppingly scary water slides, knuckle-whitening theme park rides and spacious swimming pools, this attraction is not for the faint-hearted.
7. The Algarve is the perfect place to venture if you want to enjoy a coastal walk with a loved one. Discover the coves, brave the heights of the cliffs or stroll along the golden sands (weather permitting!).
8. If you’re really up for an adventure during your break in Portugal, I thoroughly recommend trying out paragliding. Although it might seem terrifying at first, you’ll soon be up in the air gazing out across miles of gorgeous views. Is there a better way of seeing the sights all in one go? I don’t think so!
Are you inspired to go on an autumnal break to The Algarve? Let us know in the comments below!