All week we’ve been bigging up Yorkshire as our Superbreak Destination of the Month. With so much to do and see, we think it’s a fantastic place for a short break or long break, no matter what style of trip you want. From vibrant city sightseeing to relaxing country escapes, as a York based company we guarantee your Yorkshire break will not disappoint.
To help you make the most of your visit to Yorkshire, we’ve put our travel heads together and come up the Top 5 SuperFacts we think are essential to know. Split into handy categories, we’ve done extensive research on Food and Drink, Culture and Heritage, and Places of Interest.
Get ready to be astounded by the brilliance of the UK’s biggest (and best) county. Prepare to start questioning yourself on why you’ve not visited more often?
Food & Drink SuperFacts
Did you know…
- There’s more than 50 breweries in Yorkshire…the perfect excuse for a good ole knees up anytime of the year.
- Yorkshire is home to 6 Michelin star restaurants; that’s more than any other UK county outside of London!
- Celebrity Chef James Martin was born in Malton and now runs The Talbot Hotel Restaurant giving locals a taste of the highlife.
- Kelham Island Tavern in Sheffield is the place to be as the Best UK Pub of the Year in 2008 and 2009. (CAMRA Society for Real Ale)
- Confectionary giant Nestlé deliver their yummy chocolates straight from the city of York to the rest of the world – you can discover the history for yourself at York’s Chocolate Story!
Culture and Heritage SuperFacts
Did you know…
- Like no other you’ve seen, the York Minster is the largest Gothic Cathedral in Northern Europe…impressive eh?
- Mother Shipton’s Cave & Petrifying Well in Knaresborough is the oldest (and weirdest) registered visitor attraction in England.
- Love the film The Railway Children? Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is home to those classic film locations.
- Expand your mind and your knowledge in Yorkshire with six National Museums to choose from.
- Yorkshire dominates a third of the total area of National Parks in England with outstanding British scenery you will love!
Places of Interest SuperFacts
Did you know…
- One of Europe’s largest shopping centres is Meadowhall in Sheffield…shop-a-holics get your credit cards ready.
- Rain or shine, Scarborough is Britain’s first seaside resort for holiday-goers across the UK.
- The Shambles in York was voted Britain’s most picturesque street in the 2010 Google Street Awards…don’t you just love a picturesque street?
- Looking for the biggest underwater chalk reef in Europe? The hunt is over…head over to Flamborough Head.
- Famed for being the highest pub in Britain, the Tan Hill Inn sits at 1,732ft above sea level. Not too high for a quick pint though!
By now you should be convinced that Yorkshire is a top destination for a short break away, but, if by chance you do need some more gentle persuasion take a look at our irresistible Superbreak Yorkshire deals?
Get some top tips on what to do and where to go during the 2015 Tour de Yorkshire right here!