Superbreak’s Marketing, E-Commerce and Commercial Director, Darren Neylon dragged himself along to see the girly, cheese-filled performance of Viva Forever! this week and couldn’t wait to share his opinion on the show. Here’s his review…
First of all, I should declare a conflict of interest in expressing an opinion on this show – I’ve never been a fan of the Spice Girls and I’m sick to death of X-Factor. So when I read the story of this show beforehand, I knew I could be in serious trouble.
The show was written by Jennifer Saunders in 2010 and produced by Judy Cramer in her first foray away from the smash Abba Musical, Mamma Mia! The story charts the journey of a girl, Viva, who lives on a houseboat with her mum, Lauren, and progresses through an X-Factor style talent show with her friends in a 4 girl band, Eternity. Viva is forced to go solo, becomes an overnight celebrity and has to contend with a disenchanted mother and friends. That’s it really…oh, and it has lots of Spice Girls’ songs shoe-horned into the storyline.
So, what can I say about the show?…well, in the spirit of focusing on the positives, I propose the following recommendations based on my own first-hand experience:
- Definitely leave any prejudices you may have about the Spice Girls or X-Factor at the front door.
- Treat it as a bit of fun, certainly don’t take it seriously – even the show made fun of itself at times.
- Be a girl aged between 20 and 50.
- Go with a group of your girlfriends, the more the merrier!
- Have an overwhelming urge to sing along to the hits and dance in the aisles, particularly at the end to ‘Stop’ and ‘Spice Up Your Life’.
- Laugh your head off throughout the show and definitely leave the theatre arm-in-arm with your girlfriends while singing Spice Girls’ songs.
Viva Forever is purely and simply a great fun girls’ night out. The groups of girls in the audience did seem to be on a different planet to everyone else, I lost count of the amount of times I heard girls say to each other afterwards: “That was sooooooo much fun!!” If you do tick the above boxes, contact Superbreak now and book an evening of the best fun you’ll have for ages!
On the other hand, if you do happen to find yourself invited to the show and don’t satisfy each of the above criteria, you could be in for a long night – unless of course you draw an equal level of comedy value from watching those in the audience who do satisfy the above criteria! – see, there’s something in it for everyone!