2012 was a big year for us and 2013 is set to be even bigger. Last year saw the launch of our flight and hotel inclusive packages and our brand new look blog as well as loads of new events and attractions to enjoy on a short break in the UK and beyond. Over the next few weeks we will be launching a mobile version of our website, but most exciting of all is the fact that 2013 is the year we’ll be celebrating turning 30!
Forget the 30th birthdays of Jessica Fox, Cheryl Cole and Professor Green, it’s our very own big day we’re most excited about. We officially turn the big three-oh on 19th January, but as we love an excuse to celebrate here at Superbreak Towers, the whole of 2013 is set to be full of exciting giveaways, competitions and plenty of surprises!
To kick start our celebratory year we thought we’d share some of our history with you so you can see how far we’ve come over the last three decades:
- Superbreak was founded by two former employees of British Rail – Christopher Dunn and Gordon Miller. Based in an office on Grays inn Road (now the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel), we started with a portfolio of 91 hotels in 67 locations across the UK.
- Our first ever mini mainframe computer system was installed
- We sold around 200 hotels in over 150 locations
- Our first York-based offices opened
- During the August Bank Holiday a fire caused by a telex machine destroys the London offices. All staff moved to the York offices for two weeks while normal services resumed.
- Our London office closed and staff were relocated to our old York offices
- Sold 550 hotels in more than 300 locations
- www.superbreak.com became an online, bookable website!
- Our 2 night rail inclusive deals went on sale, with short breaks in London starting at £104pp
- We launched our ‘City For Less’ deals which were called ‘Summer in the City Deals’ at the time. Today, these breaks offer our customers 2 nights in top UK cities with free attraction or sight-seeing extras included in the price.
- We became one of the first tour operators to be given rights to sell Oyster Cards to London visitors via our direct website
- The first ever customer reviews went live on
our website, providing unbiased commentary from our customers on their experiences whilst away on a short break. In just three months over 11,500 reviews had been posted with more being added every day.
- We announced our partnership with The O2 Arena (formerly the Millennium Dome), offering short breaks to see the opening act, Bon Jovi
- We acquired West End Theatre Bookings, expanding our range of bookable hotel and theatre breaks
- We booked our 50,000th customer onto a ticket and hotel package at The O2 Arena
- We launched our brand new logo and website with a clean new look and easier navigation
- We moved to the new offices here at Superbreak Towers!
- We started to offer Airport Parking at nine of the UK’s major airports, providing our customers with savings of up to 60% on standard ‘drive in’ on the day prices
- We launched the Same Day Booking option for hotel stays
- Sold 2000 hotels in 450 locations
- We launched our online Eurostar and hotel packages
- We became one of the first operators to sell The Making of Harry Potter Tour packages from Warner Bros. Studios – now one of our most popular attractions
- As part of the Holidaybreak Group, Superbreak was acquired by Cox & Kings Limited, one of the oldest and most recognised travel operators in the world
- Our online flight and hotel packages went live on Superbreak.com
- The brand new look Superbreak Blog went live!
- We launched our O2 Hub online to help our customers find all the latest acts to take to the stage
- We turn 30!
To find more information about our history including details of the numerous awards we’ve won over the years, take a look at our Facebook Page. Once you’ve liked us, keep an eye out for our special Birthday Competition coming up over the next few weeks!